May I ask you several questions before we get started this week’s blog?
How much time do you spend with your kids?
Do you enjoy the moment with your kids?
What kind of actives you do together often?
Do they play safe?
I do not have my own kids, but I have two happy monster nephews James (4.5 years old) and Jerry(2.8 years old), we spend much time together on different actives.
In the summer holiday, your kid and you have much time at home, kids could addict into TV or internal at home.
What should you do?
How to encourage your child to get off the sofa and have enjoyed different great outdoors actives in this wonderful summer?
This week, we’re going to have discussion on 9 Best Safe Summer Outdoors Actives With Your Kids.
Public Park is fun, children from different family gather together for summer fun.
There are different kinds of Public Park actually; some is the park near your community, park with different themes like carton theme, and other children’s Park.
One of my favor children’ theme parks like the Train Thomas Land. If it’s the first time you bring your kid to those parks, he must be surprised that what they saw on TV appear in their life.
Some public park has their own website, and update the latest news from time to time, or publish that different children’s event in the coming weeks.
If you’re interested in certain children’s event, why not plan to bring your kid there?
National Park Trust, they offer the coming event time schedule in the website, the event description, and contact information for parents’ and kids join in.
A number of weekly event topic in the summer time. Finishing, bike ride, kids to parks dismal canyon and so on.
I just give out a simple example, you can discover more from your neighborhood Public park in different ways online / social media, if they have the event you’re interested in, bring your kids there from time to time in this summer.
How to be safe in the public park?
Although it’s not dangerous in the public park, still have the number of Children’s injury in the public park every year.
- Remind your kids should playing safe before letting them go.
- Keep your eyes open when they’re playing around
- Avoid any equipment that has openings that could entrap a child’s head.
- Remove tripping hazards such as exposed concrete footings, tree stumps, or rocks.
- Prepared emergency just in case.
The common causes of public playground injuries could be falls, swings or slides, the arm injury and broken bones, bruises, cuts & sprains.
2. Petting Zoos
Children always curiosity about outdoor things, bring your kids get close to the natural and pet/small animal would be great fun.
Visit the petting zoo or farm tours not only can develop their knowledge but also help them become more love and caring person.
Petting zoos would be great fun for both you and your kids with meaningful memories over time.
Ree Safari Park is one of good petting zoo to go, it locates on the peninsula of Jutland, Denmark. The safari park is the home of more than 800 animals of 80 species from 5 different continents.
Ree Park offers a kind of accommodation includes animal petting. Stay in a large safari lodge next to the savannah with animals right outside, photo tours by car and feeding the animals. Great fun.
I used to feed the carrot to giraffes in the Ree Park. Holding a piece of carrot and feed them in two floor high which
Holding a piece of carrot and feed them in two floor high which has same lever as giraffes. When the 20 inches long giraffe tongue touch the carrot in my hand. I am so scared to pull my hand back quickly. Kids around would be calmer than me. Haha.
I am so scared to pull my hand back quickly. Kids around would be calmer than me. Haha.
If you’re local in New York area, you’re lucky, here are 10 best petting zoos and farm in New York:
Central Park Zoo, The Art Farm, Bronx Zoo, White Post Farms, Queens Zoo, Animal Farm Petting Zoo and Family Park, Prospect Park Zoo, Benner’s Farm, Staten Island Zoo, Long Island Game Farm.
How to be safe when getting close to pet?
- Never leave a young child unsupervised with an animal;
- Before feeding pet, you should ask permission from pet owners whether possible can get access or not and try first before your kids.
- Always pet an animal gently, with no pulling or tugging. Keep your eyes watching on your children and pets.
- Keep hands clear after feeding the pet or touch it.
3. Summer Adventure Camp
Kids are always curious and ask questions back and forth. Spend your time with your kid in summer adventure camp, which was design for both children and you.
2 days short adventure or last for 1-week summer camp, which depends on your schedule.
It’s wonderful to experience excite, engage, and encourage youth to explore their inner potential through expertly facilitated interactive adventures.
If you do not interested in joining in any summer adventures camp from any organization, it’s ok.
You still can prepare your own adventures trip with your spouse. Prepare a kind of family road trip to the countryside or a little bit further from your sweet home.
How to be safe when going out for an outdoor adventure?
1. Choose a good location
2. Study a little bit about your adventure destination
3. Prepare some food and water: snack, sandwich, fruit & vegetable salad, water
4. Prepare the extract summer dress and shoes for kids.
5. Prepare the emergency: flashlight, repair tools, and SJ WORKS all purpose mini first aid kit.
Why people like swimming if we talk about the benefit of swimming. I am sure we can have 1 hours talk on this, and still feel not enough.
Great for both mind and body, it helps to manage weight, reduce stress levels, boosts your mood, strengthens muscles…
Ok, ok,you name it.
It feels like it’s from nature both for children and ourselves, isn’t?
Can your children swim? If not, summer holiday would be great opportunity to do some practice. It’s nice outdoor active and lifetime survivor skill too.
You can teach your kid on swimming if you can swim. If you’re busy or can not swim, it’s ok, check out any of swimming coach in your community.
You can find some swimming video from Youtube . or join in the online swimming training course from Udemy before or after your swim in the pool.Help you learn more theory in the right ways.
My two nephews James & Jerry, they love swimming. Almost every afternoon, they would like to go for 1 or 2 hours swimming.
The best part? It’s according what they said; they can have ice cream or hot dog after swimming. May be this is the core reason why they love swimming, lol.
How to be safe when swimming?
- Have warm up exercises in case of cramp in the water
- Chose to swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards
- Do not leave your kid swim alone.
- If he is learning swimming, put a life jackets or flooding near him in the water, keep eyes watching on him
- Protect the skin
- Drink water regularly to recharge the body energy
- CPR first aid prepared.
Drowning is a leading cause of unintentional injury death among children 1–14 years old. Be safe as a top rule!
5.Playing on the beach
So much fun can gain from playing on the beach.
If you ask your children, what are the best things to play on the beach?
Nothing beats sand digging on the beach with different children’s tools, small basket, shovel, colorful plastic castle, span, and shell.
Digging from the sand, make into the castle, shapes of towers, tunnel and much more.
Play with your kids; maybe you can have roll play with him together.
My nephews and I usually bring the small toy cars or Thomas train to the beach. We dig the sand into several streets as road traffic, and “ drive” the cars on the sand. It’s fun and we enjoy our time together.
At the same time, there is a number of activities you can do with your kids on the beach.
Water Bucket Relay, Beach Bowling with your child, if he is big and skilled enough, Beach Volleyball also can be fun.
How to be safe when playing on the beach?
- Familiar to the beach you go and check whether it’s life guide nearby
- Swim parallel to the shore.
- Keep your eyes watching on your kid
- Recognize when someone is in trouble
- Pay attention to flags and signs that warn visitors
- Prepare the sun spry, protect the skin
- Prepare some food and water
- CPR if it’s necessary
6. Ride a bike
If you do not want to go a far distance to the public park, petting zoo or go to the beach. You can choose near-by outdoor actives.
Like riding a bike or scooter in the open space or your backyard.
If your kids are independent enough for road biking, half day family biking trip sounds planned. You can go out at 9 or 10 o’clock by bike, have simple panic somewhere in the outdoor and come back at 2 o’clock in the afternoon.
How to be safe when riding with your kid?
1. Dad’s job: check the bike performance for all family bikes, tires, bike light, helmet etc . Make the familiar riding route.
2. Mom’s job: prepare the sandwich or simple food for the picnic + water for everyone.
3. Prepared extract T-shirt for kid’s, they sweat more than adults.
4. Prepared a unique SJ WORKS bicycle first aid kit. Light weight kit which can hang on the bike, so that save much backpack space for other stuff.
Did you teach your kids flying kites? Flying kites also can be fun in a wide, open field with the warm breeze outdoor.
Many varieties kits can be chosen, from simple for beginning to complete.
I used to see some so call 3D kites in the kites festival, but I think that’s too complete for children even for me.
We can choose something simple like the stander triangle kites with rainbow colors.
Flying kites, Weather Conditions can be the most important. With a nice breeze, your children can make the kite soar and dance easier.
How to be safe when flying kites?
- Fly kites in the open large space or grass, do not near power lines or play in the bumping playground.
- Keep your kite far from roads and highways
- Check the surroundings before you put your kite in the air
- If you have a large kite with a lot of lift or a strong wind, wear gloves.
I watch a wonderful video from Simon Sinek days ago, he answers The Millennial Question.
He said: everything you want has intensely, everything you want is instantiation expect job satisfaction and strength relationship, there’s slow, uncomfortable, mess process in life.
You need patience on things that matter for your whole life, like love, joy, love of life, skill set, and confidence. All of those things need patience.
When it comes kid rising, it’s the same. You need more patience to educate them to become a better person. No said it, but do it as their road model.
Gardening needs patience. Your kids are rowing with flowers they plant days by day, caring it till it booms out in the best season.
I love doing my small gardening with my nephews. It’s messy and dirty in the process, but when we enjoy the moment on nature and keep eyes watch how different the flower growing up every day.
They learn quickly on different names of the plant we planted together, the colors of plants and so on. We so much enjoy together.
How to be safe when doing gardening?
- Wear gloves to lower the risk for skin irritations, cuts, and certain contaminants
- Keep sharp tools away from children at all times.
- Keep a watch on young children and ask them to follow to what you do.
- Sun protection in the outdoor. And be sure having enough drinking water if it’s necessary.
9. Go for a hike
Hiking is a fantastic way to combine quality family time with exercise and exploration of the natural world.
A good hike is one that appeals to a child’s sense of exploration and adventure.
Not only can spend quality time together but also can teach kids to be good observers by looking for signs of wildlife and much more.
How to be safe when hiking with your kids?
1.Checklist of essentials – First aid kit, sunscreen, bug spray, snacks, special walking stick.
2.Pack extra clothes for kids and yourself.
3.Find a familiar area for hiking. If you explode to a new place, at least should do some homework before heading forward with your kids.
4.Check the weather before going into mountain area. If you’re in the changeable weather area, bring a raincoat if you think necessary.
5.Go home before your kids getting tired.
9 Best Safe Summer Outdoors Actives With Your Kids
2. Petting Zoos
3. Summer Adventure Camp
5.Playing on beach
6. Ride a bike
9. Go for a hike
Question: What’s you’re the most happiness outdoor actives with your children?